Saturday, March 30, 2013

15th day, Ranohira (Isalo National Park) - First lemurs!



And we do see them! Ringtails and Brown lemurs, closer than I would have dared to hope. They come to the campground around midday, savaging on the garbages the tourists have left after their picknick. I can’t stop taking pictures, the lemurs are not only incredibly photogenic with their beautiful faces and elegant bodies, they also are in permanent movement, doing something different every moment. The moments when one of them turns his head to me and, for a second, his amber coloured eyes meet mine, are truly special. 

But it’s not only for the lemurs that Isalo was well worth the visit. The red sand rock formations, steep canyons and dry forest landscapes provide the perfect backdrop for scenic hikes and encounters with less spectacular animals, such as 30-centimeters long stick insects, red-and-black grasshoppers or giant spiders. 

Weird to be back in Toliara that night. I have gotten the taste of exploring Madagascar’s nature, remembering that this is probably half of the reason why I came here in the first place. I’ll be back as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment